• Notices • Get Involved • Get Connected
Follow Piner High School on Twitter and enable mobile notifications to receive text messages such as reminders for important school events and activities.
Piner News & Announcements
• North Bay Business Journal article "Piner observatory seen as a tech-education model"
• Piner Golfer, Sierra Sanchez, shown here with Coach Gregus, is only the 3rd Piner Lady Golfer to qualify for NCS. Congratulations!
• Press Democrat Teen Face - Pim Khunmom.
• Want to know more about Project Graducation? Check out this flyer
• 10,000 Degrees is hosting a series of meetings about college planning on Thursdays starting October 9th for Seniors and Parents/Families of Seniors: College Roadmap to Success (en Espanol)
• Check out the latest Piner High Foundation Newsletter
• Lots of ways for parents to stay involved at school. Piner PTSA (Piner Parent-Teacher-Student Association) supports education and the classroom, Piner Boosters supports athletics, Piner Project Grad, and ELAC supports English Language learning.
• Ms. Michiel's 1st period class shows their school spirit for Homecoming - Pink Out Day.
• Ms. Michiel's 5th period class shows their school spirit for Homecoming - Comfy Cozy Spirit Day.
• State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson stopped in at Piner High School on Friday, part of a statewide tour to recognize schools that emphasize career and technical training on October 3rd. He lauded Piner High School programs. "“I hear great things about the programs here,” Torlakson told a morning gathering of students, local business leaders and officials from Piner, Santa Rosa City Schools and the Sonoma County Office of Education. “You’ve been pioneers.”" Read the full Press Democrat article.
• Congratulations David Chaparro, PE Student of the Month.
• Piner's Music Teacher, Mike Milbrath, bringing music back to Comstock Middle School. "Recognizing the need for band programs at Comstock and Piner, Schools Plus has decided to hold a special drive at its annual October fundraising event with the goal of raising $100,000 for instruments, uniforms and other supplies at both schools." Photo credit: Crista Jeremiason, The Press Democrat.
• Mr. Castro's Advanced Spanish Class showing the fruits of their hard work in the Piner Garden. Thank you!
• Piner's STEM program teams up with Sonoma State University to promote science education. "Piner announced a new partnership with Sonoma State University that will recognize ...students who commit to an intensive science education program by guaranteeing them early consideration for admission to SSU’s science and engineering department. They’ll also earn a certificate at graduation that reflects their specialty in an area of learning known as STEM, which stands for science, technology, engineering and math.". Photo credit = Christopher Chung, Press Democrat.
...more Piner Highlights and Student Testimonials
2013-2014 Welcome letter (English/Spanish) from Superintendent Shiels.
Santa Rosa City School invitation for student input on the District Strategic Plan.
The Strategic Plan will guide changes at the classroom level for the next few years. Please participate. Your voice needs to be heard!
Every 15 Minutes: Every Fifteen Minutes
is a community-based program involving a partnership of health, safety, and emergency services from throughout
Sonoma County. A simulated car crash is staged on the high school campus and through student-centered experiences
that transpire over the course of two days, the entire student body participates in a lesson concerning the devastation
and heartache that can be caused as a result of teen choices to drink and drive. In Spring 2013 this program was
presented on the Piner High School campus in a moving and highly impactful way. The video is of the "car accident"
that was staged for the students of Piner High School in order to engage them in a teachable moment focused on the
negative impacts of drinking and driving. Link to video.
Science Foundation Invitation: Piner High School's Science Department welcomes you to Piner High School.
We strive to challenge your student academically and present unique opportunities to engage them in thoughtful
exploration of the scientific process. With our Science and Technology Center nearing completion, we find ourselves
in a position to explore the formation of a Non-profit Foundation to assist in the management and funding of
programs and processes that will occur within the facility (i.e. field trips, evening events, STEM Cafes, community
outreach, etc). We invite you to an informational stakeholders meeting to share your vision and expertise as well
as possibly serve as a Foundation member. Please contact Judy Barcelon.
To clear an absence, call the School Office at (707) 528-5349 . You can leave a message.
SCOE: Piner High School has been accepted into the 21st Century Learning Institute at the Sonoma County Office of Education.
If accepted it will be the third time in a row Piner was accepted. Check out our application website if you have a chance:
http://http://mdoucette0.wix.com/phs-thinkbydesign#/. This Summer Institute
is a professional development opportunity that will assist us in refining our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) focus here on campus.
Common Core Standards for High School:
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort to establish a
single set of clear educational standards for English-language arts and mathematics
that states can share and voluntarily adopt. Parent Guide - English Language Arts
and Parent Guide - Math.
FAFSA (Free Application for Financial
Student Aid) - All graduating Seniors are encouraged to apply. It is free.
You will need your last paystub and last year's W2 (if you haven't filed taxes yet).
EVERY senior is encouranged to apply whether you think you qualify for
financial aid or not. If you don't apply you'll never know will you?!
Applications are due March 2nd, no exceptions, so come and fill yours out.
More information on scholarships can be found in these two brochures:
Scholarship Sonoma County
and SRJC Financial Aid Brochure
Piner High School is very proud to be the
first full MAKER class in the Santa Rosa City School District. Here at Piner
we are incorporating many different aspects of MAKE into our curriculum.
Our class projects will range from classroom build out, deconstruction, CO2 car
building , robotics, textiles, rockets, airplanes,bridges and projects created
by students. We are all excited to be apart of the MAKER movement that
promotes working with your hands, problem solving, team work , attention to
detail, patience, pride, focus, and creativity. Please spread the word about
MAKER with family and friends.
Check out the Piner Maker Blog
Help Address the Digital Divide
Families with children who are eligible to
receive free or reduced-price school lunches may now qualify for affordable
Internet from Comcast for just $9.95 a month, plus tax with no price increases.
Internet Essentials helps families get fast Internet at home, so they
and their children can have the opportunity to succeed. For more information
go to Internet Essentials
Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Immuninization Required. All students entering into
grades 9, 10, 11, or 12 will need proof of a Tdap shot before starting school.
Tdap must be given ON or AFTER the 7th birthday.
Flyer (in English).
Flyer (in Spanish).
Vote! Piner High School
would like to create opportunities for students to be civically
engaged. For more information you can contact the Secretary of
State's Voter Education and Outreach Services Team at (916)651-3070
or MyVote@sos.ca.gov. You can register to vote here.
For more voter registration information please visit